Green Left Preparatory Committee
The Draft of framework Orientations of The Moroccan Green Left Party
This document contains the fundamental determinants of the need for a new modern structure that takes the ecological dimension into consideration in the context of national, regional, and international transformations. It tries to place this structure and all its various future contributions in the context of various structures that interact under the new circumstances and advancement in human life in all its numerous manifestations, prospects and ambitions.
This framework document sets out the major convictions on which the struggle of the Green Left Party is based. It also sets out the guiding values and principles that form the base of the Party’s daily activities, and of its interventions, and strategic perception of its duties levels of values, humanity and society to win the necessary challenges for sustainable development and continuing human dignity and happiness. This goes hand in hand with fixing the general targets and basic axes of its temporary struggle and regulatory choices that define the standards and mechanisms of its function and of the valuation of its interventions and the interaction of its organs, institutes and members.
Possible different Morocco, modern democratic Morocco able to provide all conditions of democracy and fair distribution of wealth, distribution based on effort and contribution in production and in building future Morocco, a Morocco that meets all the needs of its citizens and that is able to respect the liberties of all citizens, the well-being of all citizens and the security of all citizens.
About the context and the need for a Moroccan Green Left Party
Among the most important components of the last political period, a period that some of it beginnings came with the early nineties, we find the characteristics of international contexts in general and of the national ones in particular.
Since mid-eighties, the international context has witnessed accelerating developments. These were manifested in a series of events at the levels of global, economic, military and political struggle. These events coincided with the economic and information globalization, the GATT agreement, a new role of media and means of telecommunication, a role that exceeds the concept of the Fourth Estate to give a dominant authority to their controller, and with the networks of finance and economy taking control of social and political choices in the world. All this made many countries emphasize liberal democracy and Human Rights and resulted in international dominance of the market economy reaching even socialist and communist regimes.
The period that our country lived witnessed the interaction of two strategies:
- The strategy of political consensus, on the rule of the highest interests of the country and on ensuring a balanced course of “the country’s modern and democratic transition”, between the monarchy and the institutes it governed and supported and the previous opposition.
- The strategy of economic struggle to redistribute wealth and political authority among lobbies of the old era and figures of the new one and among the supporters of the new political consensus and its components and the new lobbies that, for the sake of interests, are linked to the new totalitarian orientations of the new international situation.
Thanks to the sacrifices of successive fighting generations, this new dynamism, in the framework of general international contexts, led to a new situation in Morocco and generated a promising prospect open to positive progress.
If there is a title to be given to this stage it will be: “a large prospect opens for political practice and for progress of the political system towards a democracy that satisfies society and its economic, social and political elites. However, despite this positive direction the country will witness the start of the threat of fundamentalism and the expansion of its cultural and social influence.
These international and national changes will confuse the Left thinking and put it face to face with new complex responsibilities such as renewing political thinking, reconsidering, at least, some beliefs, and starting new tasks on the basis of social positions openly adopted by the Left.
About the Party’s identity
The Party is among the Left Parties. In the present time, the Left means the part that calls for fair distribution of authority and wealth; a distribution that ensures human dignity, safety and guarantees participation to the overwhelming majority of citizens. Guaranteeing human dignity can be achieved through putting into operation values of equality, freedom and the basic cultural, economic and social rights. This, in its turn, can be achieved through guaranteeing the following to the individual:
- Safety of his/her possessions,
- Life and personal freedoms,
- Moral tranquillity,
- Food security,
The political choices and the bases of the general programmes of the Moroccan Green Left Party are based on fundamental convictions, the most important of which are:
- The necessity of a new human civilization inside which other civilizations interact and complete one another. A civilization that works for the generation of new universal citizenship based on equal rights and duties among individuals and without any form of discrimination.
- The necessity of putting an end to wars and all forms of violent acts and defending peace, peaceful solutions, communication, indulgence, and solidarity among peoples of the world.
- The necessity of social justice which can be achieved through a fair distribution of natural, economic and social wealth at the national and international levels in order to provide the basic human needs, ensure opportunities of social and personal development and security for all citizens and guarantee them the participation in managing their public affairs.
- The necessity of radical reconsideration of the patterns of the way of exploiting natural resources, technology and scientific research; the pattern of all human interventions in the ecological system, the pattern of the consumption of both: individuals and groups in order to keep the ecological system balance, protect environment and the continuation of Man’s well-being and ensure natural resources for future generations.
With a dynamic dimension, the Moroccan Green left Party draws its orienting principles and its theoretical starting points from:
- The values of the global Human Rights culture, in all its generations, that guarantees human dignity.
- The positive cultural and social values of the socialist thought and the principles of the environmental thought of the Green movements and the supporters of the environmental dimension worldwide especially the Canberra Charter.
- The values of democracy in all their dimensions: geography, development, language, culture, society, economy and politics.
- The principles of the modernism and the global and human dimensions of rationalism; all of which support democracy, modernity, citizenship and equality.
- The positive values of the Moroccan civilization in which flow many tributaries including ethnic ones: Mediterranean, African, Arab and Amazigh, and religious ones: Islam and Judaism.
- The challenge of development. This includes environmental, economic, cultural and social challenges and international constraints,
- The challenge of comprehensive security including individual and group security. It is the challenge of the country of rights, duties and law, of protection of corporal safety, through putting an end to crime and terrorism, and of ensured food security and environmental safety,
- The challenge of progress that can be won by promoting and protecting human rights at all levels,
- The challenge of satisfaction with the political progress that can be won by satisfaction with generally accepted rules of management of country and society affairs,
- The challenge of solidarity, indulgence and coexistence to ensure internal social cohesion, preserve the country’s legal position in the international community and protect the homeland at the levels of identity, civilization, geography and future,
- The challenge of enforcing equality between woman and man and adopting the gender approach in all life dimensions such as society, administration, law and jurisdiction,
Domains of the present time programme
- Setting political, legislative and constitutional rules for positive achievements under the complementary roles of monarchy and the government to fortify gains and open the space of improvement for the country’s conditions,
- Courageously undertaking the workshop on judicial reform in all its domains, levels, kinds and institutes,
- Quickening, deepening and expanding the current reforms, putting into operation of good governance and supporting the path of decentralization by taking the ecological dimension into consideration,
- Undertaking, with necessary boldness and renewable initiatives, the workshop on promoting economic and social conditions to preserve the dignity of all Moroccan citizens and support national development efforts,
- Undertaking the issues about qualification of society and daily relations far from any form of social hypocrisy or cultural discrimination to consolidate the values of freedom, equality, modernity and patriotism,
- Supporting and quickening the rhythm of social changes and affecting their contents and prospect in facing the obscurantist tide and putting an end to political manipulation of religion,
- Wisely managing political affairs to defend homeland and citizens and support the modern and democratic transition of the country and society,
The Party’s regulatory choices are based on the following principles and rules:
- Democracy: as a mechanism of organization and management and drafting decisions and orientations and as a base of dealing with the other, difference and pluralism,
- Encouraging the liberation of creative potentials of members and organs through adopting freedom of initiative,
- Easing the culture of recognition through establishing criteria of competence and efficiency to choose candidates for responsibility positions and delegation for certain functions,
- Recognizing plurality, diversity and difference through supporting decentralization/regionalism in managing the Party’s affairs,
- Adopting the principles of good governance through federal organization of the party and rational management of programmes, plans and relations of cooperation, partnership and alliance,
- Adopting methods of auto-development, developing competence and exchanging experience and expertise,
- Producing alternative programmes and rejecting the idea of a single method of interpretation,
- Establishing mechanisms, structures and institutes of proximity to enable citizens to participate in decisions making and in initiatives necessary for managing their affairs in order to develop citizenship values, benevolence, solidarity and shared group responsibilities,
- Making woman and the young participate in decision making institutes and facilitating their access to these institutes,
- Unifying the efforts of ecologists, democrats, modernists and progressives, to serve the vital interests of homeland and citizens, and ensuring human dignity and the Party’s general aims,
- To achieve its goals, the Green Left relies on organization, mobilization, communication, persuasion, pressure (using legitimate and peaceful means), and on all legitimate means in the framework where citizens practice their democratic freedoms.
The Green Left Party aims to participate in the struggle for:
- Building a global system that answers all the interests of nations and peoples vis-à-vis peace, fair distribution of wealth, equal profit from technological, scientific and economic progress and informative communication and establishing democracy in international organizations and institutes,
- Defending environment and democracy issues and human rights, respecting peoples’ right of self-determination, improving relations of cooperation and solidarity in the framework of mutual respect with Green bodies and movements worldwide and with modernist, socialist and democratic forces that work for the sake of humanity progress and prosperity on the basis of rational and balanced exploitation of natural resources and wealth,
- Supporting the mediterranean space to serve the complementarity of civilizations and ensure service for mediterranean peoples’ interests in progress, peace and equal citizenship in all the banks of the Mediterranean,
- Participating in the consolidation of the constituents of the Maghreb complementarity through seeking to establish and strengthen its communication and material bases to achieve democratic Maghreb unity with its Arabic, Amazigh, mediterranean, African and cultural roots and this shall be the first step towards consolidating the common destiny of Middle Eastern and North African countries.
- Consolidating national sovereignty, over the whole national territory, and social cohesion against all forms of discrimination among citizens or among regions and communes,
- Establishing democracy in both society and country in all its dimensions: politics, economy, society, culture, language, region and development. This can be achieved through defending modernity and rationalism in rule and management including modernization of the political system by relying on values of justice, equality and solidarity, respecting human dignity, social equity, rights of citizens and working for the sake of protecting environment,
- Spreading and promoting the culture of new citizenship, educating people on the basis the principles of democracy and identifying rights and human freedoms and putting an end to violations,
- Achieving total equality between woman and man, improving women’s conditions at all levels, facing all forms of discrimination against them and adopting the gender approach in all domains,
- Eradicating poverty as an extremely important necessity, fighting against inequality in wealth and power that hinders citizens from participating in the local, regional and national management of their affairs,
- Working for the emergence of independent and socially responsible individual by enabling him/her to access to all information and qualifications necessary for decision making, providing him/her with education, health, lodging and enabling him/her to participate in cultural, economic, social and personal development,
- Achieving sustainable development that meets the needs of citizens in cultural, social and economic progress,
- Ensuring natural resources for future generations, preserving ecological balance, fighting against forms of pollution, encouraging the search for alternative energies and conserving water,
- Caring about issues of immigration and emigrants, fighting against racism, and supporting the demands of emigrants to ensure their rights in homeland and in the hosting country to achieve citizenship in both.